Friday, May 15, 2009

Like My Father

Over the last few years my dad has called or attempted to call me on my birthday. The last two years he has left a voicemail because we were out and both of his messages are still saved today. One year around the time Carson was born I actually talked to him. I don't know a lot about him but in the course of the conversation I found that he liked bluegrass music. I've gone through all sorts of music through the years...80's (in the 80's), country (thanks to Shauna), rap (old school stuff), alternative, classical. My all time favorite band is The Cure but recently I've been drawn to....yes....bluegrass/folk. I've gained an appreciation for bands like The White Stripes/Jack White (the folkier songs are the best), The Decemberists, The Beautiful South, Mazzy Star, The Raconteurs, and Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst. It kind of hit me when I was listening to a Loretta Lynn album produced by Jack White. There's something about "twangy" that I enjoy. I recently came across an article by Conor Oberst that said,

"Oberst was drawn to music at a very early age, due in part to his older brother's penchant for bands like The Cure. He has cited their first singles collection, Staring at the Sea, as the first record he ever bought, as well as being one of his favorites. 'It must have been third grade...I bought the cassette at a local record store chain called Homer's in Omaha. I just loved the sound of Robert Smith's voice. It just sounded good."

I like that two of my favorites, which sound nothing like one another, are so closely related. I love music. I would much rather sit and listen to music than watch a movie. You would think this posting is about music but what it's really about is...I've always wondered how much of me is like my father. I think I'm like him in a lot of ways with never having been around him. It brings up that whole nature vs. nurture question.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Now if Milton comes and asks for a kidney, just say NO!

I can't imagine what it would be like to not know your father. He sure has missed out. You've turned into a fine young cannibal, I mean man.

SSSlack said...

You're welcome by the way for exposing you to country music. ;)

I don't know much about dad either but I do know one thing - I agree with Natalie (I think she is The Peton's - if not, I still agree) he did miss out, but you didn't go without a dad. You had a few great "Dads" in your life - Lynn Hansen is the first one that comes to mind. I'm not sure of who the others are for you but Frank and Gordon (Scott's dad) have been two other awesome dads for me. And I think you've turned out to be a pretty awesome dad yourself. Have a (HUG) from your favorite seestar in St. George. LuvYa!

Unknown said...

Sam:

From watching your family's antics through Carrie's blog, I'd have to agree with the other comments made. I kinda view you as a crazy and fun-loving Dad who sets a great example for his kids. (Not so sure my wife would appreciate me laying on the counter tops with my kids!)

Phil

DJ and Gin Family said...

Lynn is not your Dad? What the...? All of this time I thought you were my brother!
I just remember the gazillion cd's you had in high school. Have you transfered them all to an ipod? That would take forever.
Well, you turned out great without your dad. You have a great family too. I saw your Mom tonight... it was so good to see her.

your other fav sis said...

I would dare say that your daddys bluegrass is not the same as your bluegrass.... but what do i know! shauna said it best though- you are a much better father because of all the 'dads' in your life- kudos also go out to your brothers, in-laws and last the best.... carl-- oh ya, carrie makes you a better man!

Rose said...

Interesting! I decided yesterday to go see your dad in September (more great plane ticket deals). We have talked about what he has missed out on and it is his own personal hell that he lives with every day. He doesn't have relationships with his kids because he doesn't know how to mend the broken bridges. Our relationship is mostly from my end because I'm sealed to him and I don't want to be sealed to a stranger. I love him in spite of his bad choices, cause he's my dad and he is a part of me.
I love the time we spend together, strengthening our eternal bonds of friendship, just like the time I spend with you.

I hope all of my siblings make time to get to know him, because he is not the only one missing out!

Rose said...

p.s.

He knows you are an awesome dad and husband, in spite of his example. He is very proud of you!

Me too!

From your favorite sis in Lehi!

fern said...

haha- I thought this post was about music!